Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Minor Garden Archaeology

When working in the garden, one occasional discovers layers of history.
It is then a bit tricky to recover as the whole garden would have to be restored, but some things can come through once again.
Few weeks back I was trying to clean out from weeds some flowerbeds and I had already noticed in the past years that there were some stones coming out. This time, instead of delegating my thoughts to the gardeners, I took a small spade myself and started digging.
View from above, one can see the big stones under the windows. Not the perfect picture, sadly. One has to look down from
 the window to get the right view :)
I have tried to look at the old pictures to see if something was visible of what there was there then, but it simply impossible. In the pictures from the 40s or the 60s the windows were overed by some good layer of vegetation. Earlier the windows were more visible, but understand the flowerbed topology is simply not possible.

Despite the brightness of the pictures, one can see the windowsill of the basement window and the stone just on the flowerbed level

No comments:

Post a Comment