Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Gilding

I think I have definitely underestimated this art as I thought it would have turned out almost as doing some standard DIY.

Anyway, for some reason the blacksmith didn't take/couldn't fix the right metal for some of the small things I did request him to fix for us once upon the time.
When I explored how to fix it, so it would look as they were supposed to, I found out that I could use this gilding technique.

I did buy all the material needed and, after waiting few years to mature, I tried it out...
One of the metal details (a small ball) from Oscar's bed as the blacksmith delivered it to us. Few were missing, so we asked him to make them. 
This is one of the ball as the bed came equipped with. Unclear if it is the metal that is golden or it is painted or what. I actually haven't put effort in trying to understand it.

The result after gilding



A better close up
Putting the gold leaf was far from easy. For some reason it wasn't covering as it should so I had to apply and apply and apply. 
It doesn't look too smooth, but I thought that in this case the result was acceptable.


I did the same (but this time by applying a silver leaf) to a handle for a tray that the blacksmith made. The handle should have been probably cromated or something to get the right appearance, but he couldn't do that.
I thought we could use the gilding technique again and I was at least ok with the result on the bed, but when I did the work here, I wonder how can I save it as it now looks as I have put on some foil....

The tray handle is not impressive.
I guess I need to look at some more tutorial to get it right... 

No comments:

Post a Comment